The Vancouver Westside German School (VWGS) currently invites applications for the position of School Principal. This is a position with a multi-year commitment, renewable on an annual basis, starting May 1st, 2016.
The Vancouver Westside German School (www.vwgs.org) is a non-profit charitable organization founded in 1992. It offers an after-school German language program for approximately 200 students from Kindergarten to Grade 12, both with and without previous knowledge of the German language. Classes take place once a week between 16:00 and 18:15, with junior classes at Lord Kitchener Elementary on Tuesdays and senior classes at Prince of Wales Secondary on Wednesdays. There are two school terms, which run between September and May, for a total of 33 sessions. The Vancouver Westside German School is a member of CAGLS, the Canadian Association of German Language Schools and engages with BCHLA, the BC Heritage Language Association. The school receives partial financial support from the Federal Republic of Germany through ZfA, the Central Agency for Schools Abroad.
The Principal leads the school in all academic-related matters, provides oversight over administrative functions, and reports and is accountable to the VWGS Board. The teaching and administrative staff both report to the Principal.
Role and Responsibilities
The School Principal’s primary responsibilities include:
- Recruit, mentor, and evaluate teachers and teaching assistants
- Organize classes and oversee student placement (based on registration, available teachers/facilities)
- Ensure effective implementation of and enhancements to the curriculum
- Assess students and administer language exams, as required
- Coordinate, review and sign report cards
- Teach classes and/or substitute, as required
- Respond to specific inquiries from current and new parents
- Undertake conflict management and address other situations as they arise
- Ensure that all administrative functions are performed as required
- Implements the annual operating plan for the school
- Report to and work closely with the VWGS Board
- Support VWGS Board’s strategic planning
- Oversee all school communications
- Attend and speak at school events
- Liaise with external stakeholders (German Consulate, VSB, Language Consultant, etc.)
- Represent VWGS in various German and other heritage language associations, cultural engagement activities, and community-building events
Required Qualifications and Experience
The School Principal plays a leadership role and therefore required qualifications and experience include:
- University diploma or equivalent in education with relevant professional development
- Demonstrated success in assuming principal responsibilities
- Training and/or demonstrated experience as a teacher in K-12 education
- Demonstrated experience in teaching German as a first and/or a second language
- Knowledge of non-traditional teaching methodologies desirable
- Non-profit organization experience desirable
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic educator with a caring and engaging attitude, is creative, collaborative, and resourceful, and shows an interest in innovation and/or improvement where necessary. The candidate exhibits leadership qualities, effective team work as well as the ability to delegate, is a competent teacher mentor, and interacts well with parents. The candidate has a collegial and consultative approach, with a willingness to learn and to seek advice from others, and the strength to make final decisions. The candidate has excellent oral and written communication skills in both German and English (C1 level of proficiency).
As the school operates as a non-profit organization, the position requires a certain degree of flexibility with regards to workload and scheduling of hours over the school year, which may not always be consistent from one week to the next. The position entails approximately 12-18 hours/week as principal with a salary in the range of $30-$40/hour, depending on the level of qualifications and experience. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Applications are due no later than February 15, 2016 and should be sent in confidence to email@example.com with the words “VWGS School Principal” in the subject line. Applications must include: (1) a letter of application in German and in English, outlining the candidate’s qualifications; (2) candidate’s curriculum vitae. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide names of three referees who can comment on the candidate’s qualifications. For more information or queries, please contact Meike Wernicke (firstname.lastname@example.org).
About the Author
Elke is a connector, a promoter, a writer and a blogger who loves to build community, attend events and network with other entrepreneurs. Whether you need help with advertising, public relations, social media or communications, she is there for her clients.