German Choreographer Irene Schneider in Vancouver
VANCOUVER, BC – Coastal City Ballet closes its 2017/18 season with the remount of Irene Schneider’s ballet, Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream, May 19 at Vancouver Playhouse and June 8 at Surrey Arts Centre. Set to the exquisite music of Felix Mendelssohn, this full-length ballet, which premiered in 2013, will showcase the talents of the Lower Mainland’s finest young dancers in their season finale.
Commissioned from Schneider, former Artistic Director of Germany’s Magdeburg Ballet, A Midsummer Night’s Dream is one of more than 60 original dance works developed by the choreographer for ballet companies and opera houses around the world. Created for families and children of all ages, this adventurous performance features lavish sets, spritely costumes, and a delightful score.
There are still tickets available, which can be purchased here to watch the performance in Vancouver on Saturday, May 19th at 8 pm: https://www.vtixonline.com/event.php?event_id=1146
Or, you can visit this website to see the ballet in Surrey on Friday, June 8, 2018 at 8 pm: https://tickets.surrey.ca/TheatreManager/1/online?performance=4408:
About Coastal City Ballet (coastalcityballet.com)
Coastal City Ballet is a repertory ballet company, based in Vancouver, that provides performance opportunities for emerging dancers, both Canadian and international. Coastal City Ballet’s repertoire ranges from original story ballets to classical and commissioned contemporary works by established international choreographers.
Since its conception in September 2011, Coastal City Ballet has successfully presented thirteen productions to audiences in greater Vancouver and Regina, Saskatchewan including six full-length story ballets as well as the staging of classical excerpts and commissioned world premieres and choreographies by Wen Wei Wang, Ben Stevenson, Joshua Beamish, Erica Trivett, Farley Johansson, and Artistic Director, Li Yaming, among others.
About Irene Schneider (in German from her website)
- Geboren 1942 in Metz Frankreich
- 1956-1962 Studium Ballett und Tanzpädagogik Ballettfachschule Roleff-King, München, Hochschule für Musik und Tanz Mannheim und bei Nora Kiss und Victor Gsovsky, Paris.
- 1962-1973 Engagements am Nationaltheater Mannheim, Stuttgarter Ballett unter John Cranko und Frankfurter Ballett unter John Neumeier.
- 1973- 1977 Pädagogin an der John Cranko Akademie Stuttgart.
- 1977- 1992 Ballettdirektorin und Chefchoreographin am Theater Heidelberg, Theater Ulm, Theater Krefeld- Mönchengladbach
- 1992-2006 Ballettdirektorin und Chefchoreographin, Theater Magdeburg. 1993-2014 Leiterin der Theaterballettschule Magdeburg.
- Arbeit als Freie Choreographin am Theater Luzern, Schweiz, Theater Rostock, Theater Kiel, Theater Gießen, Fukuj und Kanazawa, Japan , Brasilia, Brasilien, Sofia, Bulgarien und Vancouver, Kanada.
Vancouver Date: May 19, 8pm
Address: Vancouver Playhouse, 600 Hamilton St, Vancouver,
Ticket Prices:Adults: $29.95-$59.95,
Students/Seniors/Groups 10+: $19.95-$49.95 BCvtixonline.com
Address: Box office: Surrey Arts Centre,13750 88 Ave, Surrey, BCtickets.surrey.ca
Date: June 8, 8pm
Ticket Prices: : Adults: $40, Students/Seniors: $30, Groups 10+: $25
The Surrey German Language School, a Corporate Members of the German Canadian Business Association, is celebrating its 50th anniversary in April 23, 2022. To commemorate