If you or your child(ren) are excited to learn German, here are some resources you can find in Vancouver. At the bottom of this article are the virtual places to learn German. Schools are often held virtually these days, but might gradually transition back to in-person learning when the pandemic is over. Most classes will start on September 7th, 2021, which is the first day of school for VSB (Vancouver School Board) schools.
Of course, once you speak some German, you will need to practice regularly. There are German Language Meetup Groups, the German Canadian Business Association and the Vancouver Alpen Club that you may want to join. But that is a different article.
Newborn to Age 5
Meetings will resume on the 9th of September
Come with your children (0-5yrs) every Monday between 9:30 am and 12:00 pm to sing songs, play, make crafts and speak German.
Wir sind eine offene Spielgruppe für Kinder von 0-5 Jahren und treffen uns Montags (ausser in den Ferien und an Feiertagen) zwischen 09:30-12:00.
Kommt doch mal vorbei und singt, spielt, bastelt und plaudert mit uns.
Contact: Kecia Boecking, Tel: 604-988-1356
Welcome to the Vancouver Westside German School! We offer a widely recognized high quality K-12 German after-school language program. Ideally students join our program at the age of 5 or 6 and progress on to high school. Students learn German with us once a week after regular school hours. Junior classes (ages 5 to 10) are held on Tuesdays from 4:15 pm to 6:30 pm, and senior students (10 years and up) attend classes on Wednesdays from 4:30 pm to 6:45 pm, at Prince of Wales Secondary School.
2. http://www.eastvangermanschool.ca/ – The East Van German School provides German Language education for up to 16 children at a time. Currently the children who attend are in grades K – 3. Usually classes are held in the basement of St. Mark’s Lutheran church in East Vancouver on Thursdays from 4:00 PM – 5:30 PM. However because of COVID-19 classes are taught online for now.
Not technically Vancouver, but…
3. https://www.surreygermanschool.com/ – We offer internationally recognized Saturday morning language classes for children from Pre-School to Grade 12 and for Adults. The Surrey German Language School is a place where students and their families also join our community and experience German heritage traditions.
University or College
- UBC – https://courses.students.ubc.ca/cs/courseschedule?pname=subjarea&tname=subj-department&dept=GERM – Beginner, intermediate, conversational or business German lessons can be found here.
- SFU – https://www.sfu.ca/wll/courses/languages/german.html – Students who are unsure about their level or background in German should contact contact Claudia Hein at email@example.com to arrange a placement interview.
- BCIT – https://www.bcit.ca/business-media/future-students/ – BCIT Business offers international education opportunities to help you gain knowledge and experience while travelling around the world. Learn more about our global opportunities. Join us on our Summer Field School! Receive credits towards your degree while spending three weeks in Austria & Italy, Belgium & The Netherlands, or Japan. Discover yourself in our international Exchange Program. Study at one of our 16 partner institutions in 14 different countries. Get an international experience and receive two degrees upon graduation in one of our Double Degree Programs. Pay BCIT Tuition while studying in Austria, Belgium, or Germany.
- TWU – https://www.twu.ca/world-languages-cultures/other-languages – Introductory and intermediate courses are offered in German. Students gain oral and written skills in the language while being introduced to German culture. Literature is included in the second year courses.
- UVIC – https://www.uvic.ca/humanities/germanicslavic/undergraduate/germanic/index.php – Whether you want to become a program student or just take a course as an elective, you’ll find that courses in Germanic studies provide you with life-long learning skills that give you a competitive edge. We are committed to offering students a high quality academic experience with options for staying on track, graduating on time, and meeting their learning goals. With these factors in mind, we’ll be offering our programs and course options for the Fall academic term.
Language Learning Institution
- Berlitz – https://www.berlitz.ca/websites/main/home – If you prefer, Berlitz offers one-on-one private online language learning. With private German language learning the focus is on you so you learn what you need to- faster and with confidence. Learn online from the comfort of your home or anywhere you have Internet access.
- International House – https://www.languages-vancouver.com/german/ – As a well known German school in Vancouver, the International House Vancouver Department of Modern Languages offers private and small group German courses in Vancouver, to both adults and children. International House Vancouver‘s German lessons aim to deliver practical knowledge and German speaking skills.
- German in Vancouver – http://www.germaninvancouver.com/ – We offer progressively structured German language courses from elementary to advanced levels in accordance with the Goethe-Institut curriculum and the Common European Framework of Reference for Languages.
- Language Trainers – https://www.languagetrainers.ca/german-courses-vancouver.php – Why learn German in Vancouver? Today, Vancouver finds itself in a unique position as a bridge between the East and West after Canada recently signed free trade agreements with both the EU and several nations across the Pacific. Amid these trade partners in the EU, Germany has the largest economy and stands at the forefront of international trade, education, arts and sciences. That is why signing up for German courses in Vancouver is a fantastic way to gain a competitive edge in a global economy and to communicate with the almost 25,000 native German-speakers who live in the city.
Strictly Online Courses or Studies
- italki – o.italki.com/westcoastgerman – Your PERSONAL LESSONS- Experience language and culture from native speakers who know the real deal- Trying to conquer a test, ace an interview or simply looking to learn a new language? italki has professionally qualified teachers equipped with tools to help you achieve your language learning goals.- Unlike many other platforms, we have niche classes available such as learning business English, French for tourism, or Spanish from Latin America.
- Duolingo – https://www.duolingo.com/course/de/en/Learn-German – The best new way to learn a language. … Learning with Duolingo is fun and addictive. Earn points for correct answers, race against the clock, and level up.
- Deutsch Akademie – https://www.deutschakademie.de/online-deutschkurs/english – The DeutschAkademie’s Online German Course is the most comprehensive grammar trainer of the German language and is free of charge. The online German course can now be used completely free of charge without registration or login!
- Geothe Institute – https://www.goethe.de/en/spr/kup/kur/doln/doi.html – Reading, listening, speaking, writing – this course will improve your German all round.You can determine both the start date and a pace of learning that fits your personal schedule. All you need is a PC or notebook with internet access.
- Deutsche Welle – https://www.dw.com/en/learn-german/german-courses/s-2547 – With the free German courses from DW you can learn German at your own pace: E-learning on the computer, with videos, audio clips and podcasts – or using traditional methods with worksheets you can print out. Select between German language courses for beginners and advanced levels. Teachers of German as a foreign language can use our multimedia materials in the classroom.
My German classes were held at the Surrey German Language School when they were still located at Guildford. I took Kindergarten, Grades 1 to 6, Landeskunde (geography of Germany) and the Sprach Diplom 1 course there, as well as participated in a Student Exchange to Hannover, where we visited the Karl Friedrich Gauss School.
My children both attended the Vancouver Westside German School, after spending years in the “Deutsche Kindergruppe” in the St. Mark’s Church, which is still around.
Let me know if you can think of any schools that belong in this blog post, or that you would recommend.
- Vancouver Not Celebrating German Unity in 2023 - September 22, 2023
- MOZART’S THE MAGIC FLUTE OPENS VANCOUVER OPERA’S2023–2024 SEASON - September 18, 2023
- Vancouver International Film Festival German - September 11, 2023