VANCOUVER WESTSIDE GERMAN SCHOOL
SCHOOL ADMINISTRATOR- CONTRACT POSITION
The Vancouver Westside German School (VWGS) invites applications for the position of School
Administrator. This is a position with a multi-year commitment, renewable on an annual basis.
The appointed School Administrator is expected to start in July 1, 2018.
The Vancouver Westside German School (www.vwgs.org) is a non-profit charitable organization
founded in 1992. It offers an after-school German language program for approximately 200
students from Kindergarten to Grade 12, both with and without previous knowledge of the
German language. Classes take place once a week between 4:15pm and 6:30 on Tuesday, and
4:30pm and 6:45pm on Wednesday with junior classes at on Tuesdays and senior classes on
Wednesdays. The lessons take place at the Prince of Wales Secondary School on both days.
There are two school terms, which run between September and May, for a total of 33 sessions.
The Vancouver Westside German School is a member of CAGLS, the Canadian Association of
German Language Schools and engages with BCHLA, the BC Heritage Language Association.
The school receives partial financial support from the Federal Republic of Germany through
ZfA, the Central Agency for Schools Abroad.
The Administrator reports to School Principal and supports and works collaboratively with the
Principal in relation to all administrative aspects of the School. Although the position is a
contract, VWGS is interested in long-term commitment from the candidate.
Role and Responsibilities
The School Administrator’s primary responsibilities include:
• Payroll management
• Manage and perform student registration activities
• Perform routine communications with new and returning families
• Manage paperwork, copying related to scheduling, report cards, hiring, etc.
• Monitor YWGS email inbox, post office box and phone (messages)
• Maintain website; assist in creating website content and other school collaterals
• Establish and monitor online school calendar
• Oversee online publication of monthly newsletter and annual student newspaper
• Engage parent volunteers as required for events, library, hallway supervision etc.
• Coordinate safety measures and volunteers (i.e. hallway supervision)
• Coordinate volunteers for managing and executing key school events end-to-end
• Coordinate volunteers for managing the school library
• Procure all school supplies and other required items; arrange for copying and packaging
• Assist Principal in liaising with external stakeholders as required
• Assist School Treasurer in recording financial transactions and processing payments
• Assist in any other administrative matter, as requested by the Principal
• Attend monthly (1-2 hour) Board Meetings (10 in total)
Required Education, Training, and Experience
The School Administrator’s required qualifications and experience include:
• Demonstrated success in assuming administrative responsibilities (school or equivalent)
• Formal training or equivalent experience in administration
• High level of proficiency in German; Excellent proficiency in English
• High level of proficiency in the use of productivity tools, including Email, google drive
and other online tools, Word, Excel
• Experience in maintaining website content
• Not-for-profit organization experience preferred
• Experience with an educational context K-12 preferred
The ideal candidate is an enthusiastic person with a caring and engaging attitude, is creative,
collaborative, and resourceful, and shows an interest in innovation and/or improvement where
necessary. The candidate exhibits effective team work and interacts well with parents.
The candidate has a collegial and consultative approach, with a willingness to learn and to seek
advice from others, and the strength to make final decisions.
As the school operates as a non-profit organization, the position requires a certain degree of
flexibility with regards to workload and scheduling of hours over the school year, which may not
always be consistent from one week to the next. The position entails approximately 50 hours per
month with a starting salary of $22/hour. The candidate must be aware that this work load will be
spread unevenly in the course of the year. Applicants must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
Applications are due no later than June 4, 2018 and should be sent in confidence to Meike
Wernicke, VWGS President at meike, email@example.com. Applications should include: (1) a letter
of application in English outlining the candidate’s qualifications; (2) candidate’s curriculum
vitae. Shortlisted candidates will be required to provide names of three referees who can
comment on the candidate’s qualifications.
Freelance Public Relations Consultant at Westcoast German News
Elke is a connector, a promoter, a writer and a blogger who loves to build community, attend events and network with other entrepreneurs.Whether you need help with advertising, public relations, social media or communications, she is there for her clients.