Most people know that the Surrey German Language School was my Alma Mater. This is the reason that I can read and write in German, I was able to study “Landeskunde” (geography) of Germany and I was able to spend several months there on a student exchange as a teenager. When German schools need help, I am always happy to support them, as I know how important they are.
I am especially excited to announce that the Surrey German School will be holding their 50th Anniversary on April 23, 2022 at the Hazelmere Golf & Country Club in Surrey. Due to circumstances surrounding the pandemic, they are in need of more funding for their 2023 school year and are hoping that you can help.
Before sharing their request letter, I wanted to share this partial list compiled by the Boston University on why learning German is important:
- German is among the ten most commonly spoken languages in the world. It is also a lingua franca of Central and Eastern Europe
- German is the second most commonly used scientific language in the world
- Many of the Western world’s most important works of philosophy, literature, music, art history, theology, psychology, chemistry, physics, engineering and medicine are written in German and continue to be produced in German
- The German economy ranks number one in Europe and number four worldwide
- German is the language of (take a breath) Arendt, Bach, Beethoven, Bonhoeffer, Brahms, Brecht, Buber, Einstein, Freud, Goethe, Grass, Hegel, Heidegger, Heisenberg, Kafka, Kant, Mahler, Mann, Marx, Mozart, Nietzsche, Planck, Schoenberg, Schubert, Schumann, Wagner, Weber, and hundreds more great philosophers, writers, artists, scientists, and composers
Here is the letter the Surrey German School wrote to ask for help.
Surrey, January 2022
To Whom it May Concern,
This is a donation request letter from the Surrey German Language School Society.
The Surrey German Language School Society is a non-profit society that offers German language classes to students in the Lower Mainland from Preschool to Adults as well as the education of German heritage and culture. We offer all sorts of cultural events for our students and families that are also open to the public of Surrey and the rest of the Lower Mainland.
Our school is turning 50 this year and to celebrate this great milestone we will have a 50th Anniversary Gala on April 23rd, 2022 at Hazelmere Golf & Country Club.
For this gala we are organizing a Silent Auction to help fundraising efforts for the school. In order to keep tuition affordable and offer the students and community at large cultural events, we have to raise funds.
We would like to ask your business if you’d be willing to donate a specific item, a gift certificate or sponsor a portion of the event. Your donation would have a tremendous impact on leading the German School into the next 50 years.
Donors will be mentioned on our website and social media accounts as well as at the event.
Please feel free to contact us anytime if there are any further questions or would like more information about our school. We would also love to welcome you at our Gala. If you are interested, please send us an email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Kwantlen Park Secondary
10441-132 Street Surrey, BC,
P.O. Box 33558
RPO Central City
V3T 5R5 Tel.:
604 – 564-0486
This is how you can order tickets to attend the Gala. The Early Bird Special is only available until March 6th!
- Multicultural Media Opportunity in Richmond - May 12, 2022
- Art Vancouver 2022 in the Vancouver Convention Centre West - May 8, 2022
- GCBA Farewell Party for Consul General Dr. Klaus Schmidt - May 6, 2022